Sunday 27 August 2017

Banana Bread


As you know it’s not like me to make a cake but this morning I decided to make banana bread because there were 2 very brown bananas that were in danger of decomposing in my fridge. I tend to put any overripe bananas into the fridge for this very reason and I find that in the fridge they become well seasoned for inclusion into this recipe. One thing I am keen to do is not waste food so this was my incentive to make this very simple bread. You might ask what is the difference between banana cake and banana bread? For me this recipe is more of a bread as it only uses one egg (instead of up to 3) and also tastes really yummy spread with butter.
I have to thank Pat, an old client of mine, for this recipe; Pat had worked as a Cooking Technician in a school before she retired. It was her job to pre cook the recipe that the students were to make that day so that they could see what the finished product looked like with her vast range of experience she was a fount of knowledge and an inspiration for me when it came to trying out new recipes. 

3oz butter or margarine (at room temperature)
4 oz caster sugar (you could substitute brown if you prefer)
5oz self raising spelt flour*
½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp of ground ginger
½ tsp ground green cardamom

½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
1 egg beaten
2 very ripe bananas
4oz dried mixed fruit

Prepare a 2 lb loaf tin by greasing and lining it with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180 c or gas mark 4/5.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl adding the dried fruit and stirring it well to coat with the flour. In a large bowl cream together the butter or margarine and add the dry ingredients stirring gently till well mixed. Beat the eggs and mashed bananas together and add to the remaining ingredients. Stir well (the mixture will seem quite thick but moist) using a wooden spoon and turn the mixture into the loaf tin. Tap the tin on the worktop a few times to level the ingredient and place in the oven for 1 hour or until cooked and golden brown. Check the centre is cooked with a skewer or cocktail stick. If necessary return to the oven until cooked through – use some foil shiny side up to cover if there is any sign of burning.
Leave to cool before removing from the tin; keeps well for one week in an airtight container. Can be frozen. 
I've never come across self raising spelt flour so I make my own. Just add 2tsps baking powder to 150g flour.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments and make any suggestions for recipes you would like me to try out or to write about.